[Dixielandjazz] Blow Gabriel Blow

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Jul 1 22:39:45 PDT 2004

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Just had to share with you all a manifold joyous occasion for me this evening. I just got home from a very colorful carnival gig on
a hill in southern Jerusalem that overlooks the Old City, Temple Mount, Mount of Olives and more. It was a first for me on several
counts:

* It was the first time my Doctor Jazz band appeared with 5 players, including a full front line of trumpet, sop sax and bone,
supported by banjo and tuba. The bone player, one of my students, also doubled on washboard.

* It was the first time I did a whole gig on trumpet fronting the band. I don't know how you guys do it. My lips are chopped liver.
And it was only 2 1/2 hours. But anyway, thank you Bob Romans for helping me get started a few years back.

* The organizers from the Jerusalem Municipality assured us there will be many more gigs to come for us.

* Playing the trumpet over Jerusalem from that vantage point, I couldn't help thinking of the many patriarchs, prophets and kings
who have come and gone from here, and who are yet to come. And I thought, wouldn't it be great to get THAT gig! Hence the title of
this post, Blow, Gabriel, Blow! We don't do that song yet, but we should. You never know when we might need it.

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band
Jerusalem, Israel