[Dixielandjazz] Re: Radio Shows -- Length Of Cuts

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sat Jan 31 10:56:23 PST 2004

Since my program covers the entire history of recorded jazz (from early
ragtime and proto-jazz to the latest recordings of avant-garde jazz) I
play songs and compositions of various lengths. I do not mind this -
sometimes it takes a while for the musicians to fully express what they
want to do - that Duke Ellington 1956 Newport jazz festival recording
would have been very un-famous if they had to keep Paul Gonsalves to
one chorus on ‘Diminuendo in Blue’ and ‘Crescendo in Blue.’

I agree with Luis about keeping things spontaneous - I do pre-select
some songs but I usually let things flow and develop over the course of
my program.

Dave Richoux  The Jazz Parade KFJC FM  ( www.kfjc.org )