Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Recording techniques

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Fri Jan 30 09:35:17 PST 2004

James et al,

Just a comment about "snipping" - why not a whole chorus ?  When our group
plays most of the audience are up dancing and consequently the numbers
sometimes run into 7 minutes or more which is too long for disc jockeys when
we are recording live.  According to my good friend Bill Haesler, he will
not play any track over 5 minutes long on his jazz programmes.  So there you
have it, play 7 minutes and keep the audience happy and get your musician
sound/recording engineer to exactly snip out one or maybe two choruses.  THE
SECRET'S OUT NOW SO, GO FOR IT.  However, I have tried a few so called
recording experts with initial problems in our earlier CDs.  It must be a
musician recording engineer because of the exact beat timing required for
splicing two choruses together which can sometime become a problem when
solos are clapped.  I prefer John to ask people only to clap at the end of
the number but our fearless leader John Edser disagrees because he
orchestrates the mood of the floor for fast/slower numbers and encourages
live eruptions during numbers.

Tom (no mean snip manager) Wood