[Dixielandjazz] cutting cut & splice

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Fri Jan 30 20:26:53 PST 2004

Steve, you've got the referred CD.  Listen to the trading of 4 bars of
the trumpet & bone on Dr. Jazz.  Do you hear anything non-musical?  Does
the whole song sound "unrepeatable" in a live situation to you?  No,
obviously not, because we did play those notes.  I just rearranged them
a bit!  It's "double your pleasure, double your fun" for me.....get to
enjoy playing, and get to enjoy playing around with the playing.   :>

It's not immoral or non-musical, or anything else. It's just part &
parcel of the recording process, both studio & live.

I certainly wouldn't be worried about replacing a wrong note from
another take, or even from another part of the same song (or another!).
Live doesn't have to be nude & rude.  It can be dressed!

 I have been commissioned over the years to do that kind of work on
every type of music available, believe me.  It IS done....all the time.
It is part of the mastering procedure done on all recordings that are
given the full treatment.  Many, unfortunately don't get to the
mastering phase.

Mastering involves attention to eq, compression/limiters, filters, and
gobs of other tricks such as levelling (retouching levels of different
songs & even different parts of a song), spreading of the sound (opening
up the stereo image) & on & on.....after the editing has been done,
usually in the same house, all done on the already mixed product.

Jim