[Dixielandjazz] Recording techniques/Morality of

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Fri Jan 30 12:00:00 PST 2004

That is not how it was recorded live.  We
both played separate solos which were rather unspectacular, so I chopped
'em up and moved them around, >

Does anyone else, like me, get an uneasy feeling that somehow all this
`cleaning up, etc.` is wrong.

I remember that long, long ago there was a Record Programme Presenter,( DJ`s
had not been invented) on the BBC who railed endlessly about this
practice.He maintained that customers bought tickets for live performances
on the basis of records which they bought and records played on air by
Presenters and the bands could not deliver that performance in the flesh.
Eventually I believe that his protestations cost him his job.
A few years later when TV organised programmes such as Top of the Pops the
bands featured ALWAYS mimed to their records and to my mind he was
vindicated.

Having a second or third `take` for any reason, musical or technical is of
course acceptable but swapping a good break for a not so good one is getting
close to misrepresentation.

Comments anyone?

Cheers

Pat