FW: [Dixielandjazz] Recording techniques

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu Jan 29 20:01:56 PST 2004

the recording engineer smilingly said that he could simply snip out the
offending note and drop in the correct one guaranteeing that nobody
would be
any the wiser. He was right!

John wrote the above.  On my Gregorian Chant restorations I have gone to
the extent of even replacing a particularly noisy breath intake for
another one that was cleaner.  It's the same method as cut & paste on
the computer, only I use specialized equipment for professional audio.

However, to go further with the "each track clean" method of recording
vs. "sound bleeding into each mike" method......

Amazing things can still be edited in or out on a mixed recording.  On
our latest CD, there is a section on Dr. Jazz where the trumpet &
trombone trade 4 bar solos.  That is not how it was recorded live.  We
both played separate solos which were rather unspectacular, so I chopped
'em up and moved them around, when I was putting the CD together.  That
was chopping & moving 8 tracks, but not 8 clean tracks.  We were on a
small stage, and everyone is in everyone's mike.  Gobs of things can
still be done.

What I couldn't do was replace my voice on Mack the Knife when I goofed
on the words, as the "old voice" would be present in other mikes, even
if I replaced the voice track.  So, you have the good and the bad with
non-isolated microphones.  No sweat!  It's the overall, swinging song
that counts!

Jim