[Dixielandjazz] Recording techniques/Morality of

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jan 30 12:31:56 PST 2004

>Having a second or third `take` for any reason, musical >or technical is of
>course acceptable but swapping a good break for a not >so good one is
getting
>close to misrepresentation.
>Comments anyone?

OK...I'll comment.
As someone mentioned earlier, a good writer always revises, rewrites,
deletes, inserts and makes changes to achieve the finished manuscript.  Why
would not musicians be permitted the same privilege?
When I buy a CD, I don't want to hear the fluffs...I want all of that
removed.  The squeaks, missed notes, and whatever do nothing to improve the
music.
I have CDs with bad intonation....I avoid playing those tracks.  When I make
a copy of the CD, I leave those tracks out.
No...I say the product isn't finished till it's cleaned up.  Your customer
deserves that much if you're going to charge him $15 for it.
Pat Cooke