[Dixielandjazz] Re: Drummer = Time Keeper (not always)

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 29 10:04:50 PST 2004

Steve said
> Respectfully disagree. Working in bop groups convinced me that the Bass
has
> that function in many of them. Talking with Bop drummers confirms that.
Are yiu saying Max Roach, Kenny Clarke or Art Blakey took their time from
the bass player?
In any case Be Bop is an entirely different musicto traditional jazz. It has
a different harmonic structure, it is a soloists music and is rhytmically
fragmented. The drummer in a Be Bop band is required to do different
things - which is why Gene Krupa never cut it as a be bop drummer despite
havng a bop influenced band. Nor was Dave Tough a bopper.
All things are possible with jazz - hence any instrumentation will work if
played witrh the right attitude.
As for taking the time from the bass player - listen to the New Orleans
brass bands. No bass there just a big booming bass drum

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com