[Dixielandjazz] Re: [Dixielandjazzfollwing the drummer for time

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 28 20:55:52 PST 2004

Steve said
OK then why can't OKOM bands simply follow the
> drummer for time? Seems very simple to me. Stand close enough to the
> drummer so you can "hear" him/her.

Steve, I am in agreement with nearly all you say. Most of the problem comes
from over amplification. I have been in concert situations where I am
playing very, very quiet (yes I can play quietly) brusehes and the bass and
or pianist are not hearing me and go walkabout. This is usually due to the
way things are set up.

I prefer to be in the centre of the rhythm section with bass on one side and
chord instrument on the other. Most bassists & pianists prefer to be
together with the drums at the end of the grand piano. This can and does
cause timing problems, if they are not listening to me. I am their beat and
I want them as close to me as possible. Some players have dodgy time and
will either drag or race. I have played in bands where the banjo and piano
have had 2 different times and the bass and myself are trying to hold it
together.
So follow the drummer. And if his time is irregular you are in trouble

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com