[Dixielandjazz] Symphony players listening.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 15:13:27 PST 2004

Interesting conjecture that symphony players don't listen, except to the
one next to you. How can that be? We've spent two days complaining about
sound bouncing around stages, concert halls, and how distracting it is.

Now, we think symphony players don't listen, they just read their part?
How do they block out the unwanted sound? Randy, you are a symphony
player can you enlighten me? Do you hear the total sound?

I suspect one follows the baton for time, all the while hearing the
total mix in some degree. OK then why can't OKOM bands simply follow the
drummer for time? Seems very simple to me. Stand close enough to the
drummer so you can "hear" him/her.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. The Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy had the
"Philadelphia" sound. In talking with Glenn Dodson about it, he said
that was because Ormandy had a "very indistinct beat via the baton". For
example he said that at the beginning of a number Ormandy held his
conducting hand close to his chest and then moved it horizontally
towards the orchestra. This caused everybody to come in a slightly
different times resulting in that "unique" sound called "Philadelphia".
He also said it was difficult to figure out where up beats and downbeats
were.  BTW, Glenn was Principal Trombone of the Orchestra for 28 years,
and starting there under Ormandy about 38 years ago.