[Dixielandjazz] Symphony players listening; conductors

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:53:44 PST 2004

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:13:27 -0500
>From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
><snip>
>PS. The Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy had the
>"Philadelphia" sound. In talking with Glenn Dodson about it, he said
>that was because Ormandy had a "very indistinct beat via the baton". For
>example he said that at the beginning of a number Ormandy held his
>conducting hand close to his chest and then moved it horizontally
>towards the orchestra. This caused everybody to come in a slightly
>different times resulting in that "unique" sound called "Philadelphia".
>He also said it was difficult to figure out where up beats and downbeats
>were.  BTW, Glenn was Principal Trombone of the Orchestra for 28 years,
>and starting there under Ormandy about 38 years ago.
DJML--
    This reminds me of what some bassoon-player is said to have replied when asked how in the world he knew when to start playing when Wilhelm Furtwangler (a famous German conductor in the late 1800's whose beat was apparently impenetrable) was conducting.
    The bassoon-player said, "When he gets up on the podium, put down your instrument, stand up and circle your chair three times, sit back down, pick up your instrument and play."  (I've played under conductors like that.)

    Dan