[Dixielandjazz] FW: Symphonic baton technique

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jan 28 18:39:00 PST 2004

Bill Gunter wrote:
Steve B. writes:
>. . . the baton IS the boss.  There is no
>visual delay there whatsoever.  You crash your cymbal when the baton
>hits bottom.  The upwards stroke is your preparation...

Actually, Bill, I wrote that in answer to Steve.  I probably shouldn't
have as I'm not a cymbal player.  I was just referring to when I would
actually expel air (by removing my tongue from blocking the whole in my
lips) *  as the baton was reaching its base point,.

*  that's just a note to let you non-air people know we don't actually
go huff, huff into our horns.  We have air pressure waiting to be
expelled.  That's why you get little kids playing on their recorders by
going huff, huff (just blowing into it), rather than tonguing with duff,
duff, tuff, tuff, etc., depending on the type of tonguing being used.
Huff, huff would be just starting the air with no tongue intervening.
Air pressure is present, and the tongue releases the air vs. blowing
into the horn.  Now, there's another thread if anyone is interested in
such detail.

P.s., bass players may be good with their fingers, but us brass guys
have got the tongue action.  And, there's ANOTHER thread.....but for a
different kinda list, methinks!

Jim