[Dixielandjazz] NYC jazz - (was: Nighthawks???)

LOUPGAROUS at aol.com LOUPGAROUS at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 17:41:36 PST 2004

Yes, Jerry, the Nighthawks--sadly--are no longer at the Cajun on Mondays and
Thursdays.  The Cajun, however, still has some very good bands playing
nightly:  John Gill's group on Mondays, with Jon-Erik Kellso; Stanley's Washboard
Kings on Tuesdays (also with Kellso); Eddy Davis on Wednesday nights; the Stan
Rubin Orchestra on Thursdays; the Canal Street Jazz Band on Fridays; the Red
Onion Jazz Band on Saturdays; and Cantonment on Sunday nights.  I believe there
is still also a band playing Wednesday afternoons for lunch.

David Ostwald's Louis Armstrong Centennial Band is still holding forth at
Birdland on Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 (before the band at the Cajun starts), and I
am usually there, when in town.

Arthur's Tavern in the Village has had the Grove Street Stompers on Monday
nights for about 42 years (!!!), and these days Ed Polcer is usually on cornet.
Lee Lorenz leads a nice band there on Sunday nights.

If you're willing to spend $75 (plus drinks) a person, Woody Allen is at the
Carlyle Hotel for one set most Monday nights.

Considering New York is a wasteland as far as traditional jazz is concerned,
there are still a few last outposts.

I am leading a small group at Terra Blues in the Village tonight (7:30-10:00)
and one Wednesday a month, with John Gill and Herb Gardner.  Vince Giordano
is often with me on bass.

There are always a few other things happening in town which vary from week to
week.  Anyone planning a visit can email me at this address and I'll let them
know what's going on.  I also have a mailing list (both email and snail
mail), and send out periodic messages about upcoming events.  My website is
danlevinson.com, and has my engagement calendar on it, which is in need of updating
at the moment.

And that's all the news from...well you know.

Dan Levinson