[Dixielandjazz] Recording Jazz

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 09:15:01 PST 2004

OK Jim.....
       I know that recordings were made that way for years, and someone is
bound to tell us about the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concert that was
recorded with a single mike.
       But the technology has improved since then, and I believe the new way
is best.  Of course, it depends on a good engineer, but even if the engineer
is not perfect, it can still be fixed in the final mix ...but only if there
were multiple mikes with a little separation.  If your "pure" recording
isn't balanced just right when you are recording, you are stuck with what
you have.  The only remedy is to record it over again.
        >Acoustic is acoustic<
   You can't record without microphone(s), and that's where it all ceases to
be acoustic.  You could always go back to playing into a big funnel that is
attached to a stylus cutting into a disc...then you'd have to put the drums
out in the alley.  I don't believe in clinging to ancient technology when
better proven ways to do it are available.  Do you have a car? with a
automatic transmission? an automatic water heater?  A computer?...you get
the idea.  I don't believe in clinging to the past just because a few good
players did it that way.  If the technology had been available, they would
have used it.
   Pat Cooke