[Dixielandjazz] Recording Jazz

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Wed Jan 28 09:08:44 PST 2004

To Pat, Jim and all re: recording jazz:

Simply listen to the CD "Louis Armstrong - Great Original Live Performances"
(Project 3 Records - PRD2 6037 / DIDX 1523).

This is an Armstrong tribute comprised of performances recorded in concert
from 1947 to 1963.  There are 17 tunes and every one of them sounds great.
Every instrument and Louis' vocals are properly balanced with the rest of
the band.  The mix is better than 99% of any recordings I've heard in the
last 20 years.  And what makes it even more impressive is that the music was
originally recorded over a span of 16 years in a variety of live performance
environments.

Even though this compilation is a 1987 re-mix (the liner notes say that the
music has been digitally engineered to enhance the sound), the sound
engineers at those various live performances really knew what they were
doing in the first place.

IMO, It should be a requirement that every sound engineer should listen to
this CD while in training and use it as an example of "how to do it".

Kurt