[Dixielandjazz] Recording Jazz

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jan 27 21:31:11 PST 2004

If it is a 9 foot grand, even the drummer ends up 15 feet away.
Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com

Bob, that is a long standing argument I have with our pianist, who
insists on only having his piano in his monitor on a large stage.  I
have tried to point out that there can easily more than a  second of
delay in the live sound from the other guys in the band.  If he doesn't
have them in his monitor, then he is setting his own tempo on his own.

I can demonstrate, using a digital delay on a stereo signal in the
studio, that you can actually hear a difference in the two sides when
even a 26 milisecond delay is applied to one leg.  Precisely, the old
"double-up the voice" trick using the Eventide delay (1970's) was
applying 26mS and 56mS, one delay to each leg.  Pull that up on a fader
mixed with the non-delayed sound, and you have a nice, fat/full voice!
Miliseconds can be pleasant, seconds can be disastrous!

 So, it shouldn't be too hard to understand that a drummer's sound,
which someone else on the stage might hear after it has bounced off the
top of the stage (which can be 20 - 50 ft up, easily)......and out to
the audience & back, etc., may not coincide with what the drummer hears
where he is.

Without a full monitor mix, you can wander around the stage and you very
well may have to decide who's rhythm you wish to stay with.

I't amazing that this is beyond the understanding of some people.

Jim