[Dixielandjazz] Recording Jazz

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Tue Jan 27 09:20:40 PST 2004

 Mike Durham says:

> Incidentally, when we went to record in a new studio around 1997, the
> engineer wanted to put the drummer IN A DIFFERENT ROOM adjacent to the
rest
> of us. Makes a mere blanket seem very small change. Needless to say, we
> "educated" the young gentleman in the art of recording an acoustic band,
and
> got a decent result (but never went back there again).

I like to record with a headset on & the ability to set levels individually
in the headset.  Thus, they can put the drummer anywhere they want & it
sounds as if he is right next to me.  Same with the bass & you can really
get a tight rhythm section.

Since I can't see, I pick up all Q's auditoraly anyway.  What I hate is,
onstage in a live performance situation, when they put the grand piano out
in left field & string the band out   to right field.  The trombone or
clarinet player ends up 20 feet away.  If it is a 9 foot grand, even the
drummer ends up 15 feet away.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA