[Dixielandjazz] RE: Art "GIGGLEHEIM Museum of Mediocre Art"

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Jan 26 15:45:37 PST 2004

About 25 years ago I was walking along a street just off of Market  in
San Francisco and found the "Art Dreco Institute" -they sold nothing
but things like musical stuffed frogs and other outstanding articles of
"bad art."  It turned out that the shop owner had relocated from the
Boston area where he also played in an 8 piece sidewalk OKOM band. The
store disappeared after a few years, but I see he has since moved back
to Amherst and set up a website at <http://www.artdreco.com/index.htm>
(I am sure the rent is much cheaper!)
Be sure to read his manifesto on the meaning of Art Dreco

There is also another fine establishment in the Boston area called the
Museum of Bad Art - you can learn more about that at
http://www.glyphs.com/moba/

Dave Richoux