[Dixielandjazz] Attn. All Members/DJML Member Survey

Jon Seiger jseiger at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 11 13:12:54 PST 2004

hi all (and kurt, who started the survey :)

I am a trumpet player, vocalist, and pianist.
I am a professional musician, in the sense that I have studied music all my life (started on guitar at age 3) , graduated from the new england conservatory of music (jazz trumpet major), studied with roy eldridge, have played with people such as ella, roy, the drifters, the shirelles, Bob Haggart, Oliver Jackson, Doc Cheatham, Arvell Shaw, Barrett Deems, Joe Williams, Bobby Pratt, and many others,  make 100% of my living playing music, travel full time around the world playing music, and making all of my living at playing music (although obviously, playing jazz,  I'm not rich :)   Oh yeah, I'm also a member of the Music Union :)

But I do agree.....defining a "professional " musician can be very subjective.  I mean, I know some people who make their living at music who are not professional in the sense that they are NOT good musicians.  But I know other people who treat their music very professionally and seriously, but don't do it "as a living."  Who is more "professional?"   Hard to say always :)

On another note......just got the bad news that a close friend and GREAT trombone player from Rochester, NY,    Ray Desio, died last night. He had played a lot with Peggy Lee (Ray is the face you see on the Peggy Lee - Basin Street East Album cover right behind Peggy).  Ray had a strong personality, was an amazing musician, and will be missed by all who knew him. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Keep Swingin'
Jon Seiger
www.jonseigerallstars.net
www.jonseigerallstars.com.ar