[Dixielandjazz] Attn. All Members/DJML Member Survey

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 9 17:02:35 PST 2004

Kurt asked
> I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of DJML members are
> professional musicians.  Which begs the question - "what is a professional
> musician"?
I am a professional musician, ie, all my income comes from jazz and jazz
only. I am a bandleader, drummer, sometime singer, occasional washboard
player, festival director, jazz promoter, record producer and recording
engineer.

What is a professional musician?

One who does the above from choice and commitment to the music, without
subsidy from a day job or a pension. There are some musicians on the UK jazz
scene who have taken early retirement who now play full time and yes they
are professional musicians, but the relatively few true pros have learned to
exist on their wits and abilities, without any financial safety nets. In
other word we paid our dues.That is not in any way to knock anyone who is a
semi pro, because some of the most talented players fall into that category.
Being professional about playing jazz also means as far as I am concerned,
continued listening to the masters in the hope that you might just glean a
smidgen of their genius, as well as regular work on one's instruments to try
and develop one's ability.

Cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ