[Dixielandjazz] Muso definition

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Sat Jan 10 09:19:50 PST 2004

The word "muso" shows up from time to time.
I assumed it meant musician or a person interested in music.
Looked it up in my 1988 BIG (ten pound) dictionary.
Not there.
So I looked it up on the internet dictionaries.  Well, just three of
them.  One defined it as musician.  One defined it as musician or
a person interested in music.  The third---referencing UK usage--
defined it as----an uninspired musician (usually in pop music)
who values technique above other qualities.  Note--I didn't use
quotation marks because I've forgotten the exact quote---but
that was the gist of it.
Okay---guys in the UK----is that how you interpret the word?
Ken Gates  --(in the USA)