[Dixielandjazz] Bix in a Book

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Fri Jan 9 19:55:14 PST 2004

 Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net wrote:

To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 4:21 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bix in a Book

> I was at the shopping mall last night and went into a store to look
around.
> They were displaying a hard-cover book titled "Louis Armstrong - The
> Offstage Story of Satchmo" by Michael Cogswell.  Very impressive book with
> lots of pictures and stories.
>
> But the author lost all credibility with me when I checked the index to
see
> if Bix Beiderbecke was referenced in it. He was - one time and his name
was
> misspelled both in the index and on the page it was referencing.  It was
> Biederbecke.
>
> This may seem like a small thing to most people, but to me it is yet
another
> case of someone not giving a damn to take the time to check the details.
If
> any one on this list knows Michael Cogswell you might make him aware of
the
> typos.
>
> Needless to say, I didn't spend the $39.95 they were asking.
>
> Kurt

Kurt,

Michael Cogswell is the curator of the Louis Armstrong Archives in Queens,
NY.  I have been to the archives & met Mr. Cogswell.  I was given a special
tour by Richard Lloyd.

They are doing a fantastic job with Louis' memorabilia.  And now, Louis'
house is open for tours.  The next time I get to NY, I'm certainly gonna
take the tour of the L.A. House.

See http://www.satchmo.net

Before a book gets published, it goes through several steps to be proofed.
I am sure that the mistake in spelling that you found was a fault of the
proofer & not of Mr. Cogswell.

I'd recommend that you purchase the book.

I am sending this e-mail to the archives to see if either Michael or Richard
has a comment on the misspellings.

Bob
bob at ringwald.com