[Dixielandjazz] How to tell what key they're playin' in?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 9 18:31:46 PST 2004

Pat Cooke wrote:

>     When I'm listening to a band, I sometimes wonder what key they are
>playing in.  Not having perfect pitch, I can usually tell what key a band
>is
>playing in by watching either the bass player's left hand, or sometimes the
>trumpet player's fingers.

>I found that an interesting observation. I can usually figure out the key
by
>watching the guitar/banjo players left hand (assuming he's right handed).
>Not that knowing the key is all that important to the casual listener . . .

.If I'm in the band (and playing something other than washboard/drums) the
leader usually announces the key.

I'll tell you where that skill comes in handy. It's when I'm at home
watching a band on TV (I love to listen to bluegrass and western songs) and
I want to play my guitar or banjo along with the group).

Resectfully submitted

Bill "Haul it out and twang it" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

If I'm really curious, I take out my chromatic harmonica and check it out.
If it's a fun tune, I can jam along quietly and not disturb anybody.

Norm "Haul it out and blow it" Vickers
nvickers1 at cox.net