[Dixielandjazz] My last substantial comment on Eminem today

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 17:58:33 PST 2004

As soon as my 14 year old daughter got home today I played the MP3 for her.
When she heard the ragtime start she rolled her eyes, but a few seconds
later
when the rap started, she got all excited and shouted, "EMINEM"! She thought
it was really cool and asked me to burn her a CD of it so she can play it
for
her friends.

I couldn't believe she recognized that as Eminem after only a couple of
words. This MP3 may have been started as a joke, but I think there may be
something serious about its appeal to young people. Might be worth pursuing.

This gives total creedence to what Steve and I have been preaching for a
long
time along with others on the list who lurk a lot.  Take this music to the
kids, ANYWAY that you can.

Listmates!!!
I think today's kids would REALLY go for OKOM if...a HUGE if here...it was
done by a band more their own age...folks, like it or not, we're up against
the wall of "old age" here...and most of us...(not me of course!!)...have
lost the hormonal sex appeal of young, tattooed, pierced, skinny bodies with
shaved heads... (Gunter?)... that distinguishes one generation from
another...especially twice removed! They might love the music, but when they
see their grandfathers/grandmothers performing it, it just ain't the same!
If it's played by someone their own age, they'll buy a CD and go home and
fantasize...just like I did in the late '40's early '50's with Peggy Lee,
Doris Day, etc, etc. We should all be glad for the blue haired ladies
drooling over us...while it/they last!
Bob (taking hormones by the pound)Romans