[Dixielandjazz] My last substantial comment on Eminem today

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 19:32:25 PST 2004

Polite snip from an off list post to me from Kurt earlier:

As soon as my 14 year old daughter got home today I played the MP3 for her.
When she heard the ragtime start she rolled her eyes, but a few seconds later
when the rap started, she got all excited and shouted, "EMINEM"!  She thought
it was really cool and asked me to burn her a CD of it so she can play it for
her friends.

I couldn't believe she recognized that as Eminem after only a couple of
words.  This MP3 may have been started as a joke, but I think there may be
something serious about its appeal to young people.  Might be worth pursuing.

This gives total creedence to what Steve and I have been preaching for a long
time along with others on the list who lurk a lot.  Take this music to the
kids, ANYWAY that you can.

There is nothing wrong with OKOM or Dixieland music at all, it is a viable
now as it ever was, it just needs to be in the hands of some new generation
performers who have a substantial youth following that relates to them and their
heros of music of today.

Now quick somebody throw some beads to Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper.

Perhaps it's time to give Tito Martino's song another close listen, could be
a big hit in the hands of the right Rapper.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins