[Dixielandjazz] Banjos and other substantial matters

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Thu Jan 8 19:23:02 PST 2004

I'm with Bill Gunter in bemoaning the assorted acid commets regarding
washboards and banjos.  These are noble American instruments, and,
indeed, 'twas the banjo that was quite instrumental (what a pun!) in
early jazz.  The washboard is a true precussive instrument and can (and
does) lend a joyous expression of unbridled happiness to a traditional
band.

We apparently have many deep thinkers who long for profoundity on these
postings.  Therefore, allow me to refer to you a true story about
Johannes Brahms:
Very late in his life, Brahms attended a party in Vienna in which an
American girl played some lively tunes on the banjo.  He had never heard
this instrument before, and he made a comment.  "Now I know where friend
Dvorak gets his tunes for his American symphony."

Nothing was said about the "perfect pitch" or the inflammability,
either.

Harold "still searching for the perfect reed" Smith