[Dixielandjazz] Re: Washboard spam/ Substance

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 8 23:42:12 PST 2004

Bill said
> But, Bryan, while I disagree with you on the subject of washboards as a
> viable instrument in the jazz band line-up
I agree with you Bill, the washboard, together with the jug or the kazoo (or
comb and paper) can be very viable instruments in the right hands. Wasboard
knockers could do well by listening to the many recordings of South Side
Chicago bands with Baby Dodds or Jimmy Bertrand or the many interesting
sides by Clarence Williams, who also used the Jug. 'Kansas City Man Blues'
being a great example. Other jug recordings by the Dixieland Jug Blowers,
particularly those featuring Johnny Dodds reveal highly entertaing music
which is not lacking in great jazz content. Similarly the Memphis Jug Band
recordings. As for the Kazoo family of insrumenmts, try Red McKenzie's Mound
City Blue Blowers recording of One Hour and Hello Lola with Krupa, Glenn
Miller, Coleman Hawkins, Pee Wee Russell etc Plus of course the Commodore
records of the re-constituted ODJB where Tony Spargo  plays a mean kazoo.
Jazz has always made do with instruments that would appear to be unlikely
vehicles for creating good music. Banjos come in for a lot of stick, but in
the hands of Johnny St Cyr or Ikey Robinson they become great  instruments.
So it is in the hands of the player.

Brian said
>Nothing against washboards - not as good as a proper drum kit of course but
> >capable of making a contribution to a rhythm section in the right hands
I don't think I would argue with that either. With a proper drum kit you can
achieve a great deal of colour and variety, which is not possible on the
washboard - but I would rather listen to a hot washboard scraper who swings
than a flash technical  drummer who doesn't. Also, I believe the ten to ten
ride cymbal rhythm usee by drummers from the late 20s onwards was possibly
inspied by the washboard players who certainly used it.

As to the complaints about those who moan about substance yet do not
contribute, it is a question of hours in the day. Both Steve and Tom have
posted some good stuff, yet I Don't always have the time to get in and
respond.
Cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ