[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Eminem Rag

Ed Berlin edberlin at optonline.net
Thu Jan 8 22:09:13 PST 2004

Is there any significance to the title chosen?  Black & White Rag?

This recording is not the first meeting of rap and ragtime.  At a
ragtime festival about 6-7 years ago, Glenn Jenks, a popular ragtime
performer and composer, did a Maple Leaf Rap, a spoof on rap using the
awful song version of the instrumental Maple Leaf Rag.  He introduced it
by discussing how unsingable the lyrics are, but they fit the rap mood
perfectly.  He then proceeded, against a pre-recorded background of
rap-like riffs, lighting, etc., to chant rhythmically, motion with his
hands, & strut around the stage.  We couldn't contain our laughter.
He's repeated it at other ragtime events.

Ed Berlin