[Dixielandjazz] Re: Washboard spam

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:48:44 PST 2004

Hi Brian . . .

You wrote:

>Nothing against washboards - not as good as a proper drum kit of course but
>capable of making a contribution to a rhythm section in the right hands -
>but
>do we really NEED seemingly endless postings on the topic? (emphasis mine)

Actually we don't NEED the DJML either, but it's an enjoyable and useful
outlet for musicians to share and learn from one another.

Your comment about washboards, "not as good as a proper drum kit of course,"
is also a bit insulting whether you realize it or not. I could make the
argument that a soprano sax is not as good as a clarinet "of course" but I
wouldn't try and advance the argument on the DJML.

I don't expect to find a washboard listed as the principal percussion in the
Montreal Symphony nor would I expect to find a set of four tuned tympani in
a dixieland band.

But, Bryan, while I disagree with you on the subject of washboards as a
viable instrument in the jazz band line-up, I do agree (REPEAT, I DO AGREE)
with you on the nature of quite a few of the washboard postings. I think
there are possibly more silly comments about washboards than I'm comfortable
with on the DJML. It's like banjo players having to contend with the
interminable "perfect pitch" or "inflammability" jokes constantly leveled at
a beautiful instrument.

I attribute it to the desire of others to tweak their friends with little
"good natured jibes" here and there and such things are posted with an eye
toward the "humorous interpretation" of the offering. There are, I believe,
certainly no really malicious intents in such postings. They simply often
tend to get boring.

But that is a different subject from postings which are concerned with the
place of the washboard in serious trad jazz.

The claim that a washboard is not as good as a proper drum kit is, of
course, absurd and cannot be justified in any rational discussion discussion
of dixieland jazz and it's forms and constructions.

Furthermore, I would submit that we should NEVER overlook the entertainment
value of the music we present. From my perspective, a washboard in the hands
of a competent musician has potentially more entertainment value than a
typical drummer sitting behind a full drum kit.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "No more being defensive-next time I'll just use a naughty word and
dismiss the insult" Gunter

jazzboard at hotmail.com