[Dixielandjazz] instruments lining according to NO tradition

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Thu Jan 8 02:04:20 PST 2004

Regarding the relative positioning of instruments, let's call "line-up",
actually since the time as Jazz begun it was in force a strong tradition
respected  by almost all New Orleanians in their Bands.

As related by Baby Dodds in "New Orleans Style" by Bill Russell
(Jazzology Press 1994):

"In the N.O. dance halls, members of the band were seated to bring about
a natural balance. Facing the dance floor from the bandstand, there to
the right would be me, drums. Next to me, on my left, would be the
trombone. At the left of the trombone would be the trumpet. If you had
first and second trumpet, the second trumpet would be next to the
trombone. Next to the trumpet was clarinet, going left. And next to the
clarinet would piano and next to piano would be guitar or banjo, going
left. ... Bass was on the other end. Thus, by having drums on one end
and bass on the other, you would have a heavy instrument on each end.
You wouldn't imagine how different your music would sound if you would
line up that way".

So, looking to the band stand from the dance floor, you would see;

DRUMS-TROMBONE-TRUMPET-CLARINET-PIANO-GUITAR-BASS   in just one line.

And of course you can substitute banjo-tuba for guitar-bass. Please
remember they had NO AMPLIFICATION in those days,

And actually in the many many pictures in the book "New Orleans Jazz - A
Family Album",  by Al Rose & Ed. Souchon, you can see many bands lining
up like this.

I can grant you that it works! I made the experiment with my own Band
and just found that it REALLY sounds better!  The only problem, the guys
in the Band prefer to play jammed together as a bunch of pussy-cats in a
nest.

Sounds good too.

Tito Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil