[Dixielandjazz] instruments lining according to NO tradition

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 01:13:27 PST 2004

tmartino at terra.com.br writes:

> And actually in the many many pictures in the book "New Orleans Jazz - A
> Family Album",  by Al Rose &Ed. Souchon, you can see many bands lining
> up like this.
>
> I can grant you that it works! I made the experiment with my own Band
> and just found that it REALLY sounds better!  The only problem, the guys
> in the Band prefer to play jammed together as a bunch of pussy-cats in a
> nest.
>
> Sounds good too.
>
> Tito Martino
> Sao Paulo Brazil

we must firstly however remember folks that most legitimate dance halls and
ballroooms were originally designed acoustically to accomodate acoustic
instruments before amplification was in vogue or even needed.

The times they have changed, like it or not so we have all been forced to
adept to the changes.  Now a days most places that sport LIve music are far from
acoustically adequate and certainly not planned for.   Empty shopping malll
stores, old warehouses, old houses,  vacant lots, old fire houses,  empty
supermarkets, or any place else they decide to call a club.

The glitz and glamour of old fashioned Cabarets and real Night Clubs are for
the most part long gone and may very well likely never reappear.

This is why so many Dixieland societies are still using old worn out Elks
lodges and Moose lodges, to try and re capture that old ambiance, unfortunatley
when they put up those damned stupid non intimate highschool lunch room eight
feet long cafeteria tables with chairs strung alongside them and turn the
floresent lights on full blast overhead they lose any potential ambiance they might
have had to begin with.

Dimmly lit clubs have atmosphere, and the drinking adds to the ambiance and
culture of the room, cafeterias drain the feel of the music no matter how well
the band might play, offered up in the wrong ambiance and circumstances it
just becomes annoying noise in the background for old ladies to sit and knit and
old gentlemen to adjust their hearing aids and look around the room and try to
imagine the ladies back in their hey dey wearing the dresses and hairstyles
of yesteryear.

To get things anywhere near what they used to be folks we have to recreate
everything that made it work, if not it just continues to dissipate into what
noone will ever relate to being fun enjoyable for all.   Just hearing the old
music is simply not enough, we can all stay home and get drunk and listen to it
on CDs and old recordings dream a moment and toddle off to sleep for free.

I am sorry folks but it has been our generation and the one before mine that
destroyed all of the things that we all long for and hold so dear in our
memories of the good old days.

It was a time before Mothers against Drunken Drivers, Just Say No,
Sufferance, and all the other causes that changed our life styles, like passing laws
that you could build a church next door to a nightclub, but you could not operate
a nightclub within 3000 feet of a church and on and on and on in the name of
better society.

I have always said If it aint broke don't fix it, too bad somebody had to
come along and fix our business so it does not thrive any longer as many of us
used to know and enjoy it.

 Progressing Regretfully,

Tom Wiggins