[Dixielandjazz] Band set up

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Tue Jan 6 12:26:51 PST 2004

I feel your pain about falling off the stage.  It happened to me at a local
dinner theater stage and I have a fake tooth to prove it.  Long, funny story
I'll tell you sometime.

Here's another reason to be aware of your surroundings...I usually play for
a local dance club called "The Castle Club".  They have been in existence
for close to 80 years and are very hi brow.  Their dances are held at the
beautiful Hoyt Sherman Place which has an art gallery with fabulous wooden
floors which the dancers enjoy.

For several years I would set up with my back to one of the walls and lean
against a large picture frame while playing the drums.  Boy was I surprised
when I read in the newspaper that the Hoyt Sherman board had decided to sell
that painting to help pay for much needed renovations to the building.  It
sold for more than $5 million dollars!

They now put their higher priced paintings in glass cases (probably in an
effort to protect them from drummers).

Kurt "Is that a new painting technique or a smudge mark from somebody's
greasy head" Bowermaster