[Dixielandjazz] Band set up

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 13:15:49 PST 2004

bowermastergroup at qwest.net writes:

> Another benefit is that the most important member of the band (we all know
> I'm talking about the drummer) is not buried in the back row.

And to think!  I always thought they put us drummers in the back row to keep
us from falling off the stage after imbibing a bit too much,  :)

I fooled em all one night however, playing in a a place that had beautiful
purple velvet curtains behind the bandstand, I leaned back on my stool to rest
my back against the wall, and whoomp! fell about five feet down to the ground
outside the club.  This was an after hours joint out in the country a bit, and
they had built the club in an old barn with a loading dock.  Apparently they
had put the stage area on the dock and just hung up the curtains without
installing a wall behind them.  I found out why it was so cold up there as well.

They called the joint Billy's Bayou, out in Crow Canyon in the East Bay
countryside of San Francisco, California for you guys that don't know where the
East Bay is.  A few of you may have even played there back int he late 60s before
the cops shut it down.

In the winter time it got very interesting, because all the cars used to park
in rows side by side horizontally on a hill, then it would rain like hell and
the cars would slide into each other often trapping a couple inside that did
not belong together, :)   made for some interesting times indeed.  Place was
frequented by the Hell's Angels Motorcycle gang as well, so it tended to get a
bit drunk and rowdy, especially if one of those guys found his lady friend in
one of the sliding cars.

The best fun however was watching drunken Hells Angels trying to ride those
big Harley hogs up the slippery muddy hillside to park the bikes in front of
the club, A real circus on wheels many nights.

Ahh  the good old days.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins