[Dixielandjazz] Chrismas Presents / Turk Murphy & the revival

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 6 23:07:45 PST 2004

Bill said
> I haven't gotten far into the book, but (naturally, I guess) it appears to
> reflect the same racial bias as the TV series.  For example, of the 16
> circled pictures on the covers, 15 are "Black," and in the 17 fine-print
> index pages, Turk Murphy rates only a single reference!
 I'm not surprised. Its like expecting to see Chris Barber or Kenny Ball
listed over here. They were all revival musicians who have not added to the
development of traditional jazz in the same way that Condon or Pee Wee
Russell did. You folk across the pond hold the West Coast style in the same
esteem as trad fans hold the Brit revivalists and much iof this is to do
with nostalgia. Luckily I came along after the revival bubble had burst and
I could judge it for what it was - a revival. That is not to say that my
band is doing anything other than reviving. I hope with the benefit of study
and effort we can be looser than the West coast bands, but I doubt we will
be as loose as Condon or looser still to get near Ory or Oliver.
Burns agenda was to chart the development of jazz. I lost interest after
about 1945. Clearly as the revival was what it was and outside the scope of
Burns work.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com