[Dixielandjazz] Re: "um" words and buzzing

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 00:07:11 PST 2004

Norman, everybody: my wife, who works in the University of Northumbria
Modern Languages unit, tells me that in U.K. academic parlance, sounds like
um, ah, er, etc. are called 'filled pauses', as distinct from actual words
such as well, anyway, actually, basically, I mean, like, and so on, which
are known as 'discourse markers', in turn not to be confused with 'discourse
punctuators' which are non-verbal elements such as raised eyebrows, wrinkled
noses, shrugs, winks, etc., which serve to underline verbal communication.
Guys, there is a whole world out there, of which  to date I had been
blissfully unaware. Musical content: "Words Can't Express The Way I Feel"
(McKinney's Cotton Pickers, 1930).

Mike D.