[Dixielandjazz] Hand Bells????

Margaret Squires margeaux at inreach.com
Thu Jan 1 19:19:11 PST 2004

Steve,

I'm a ringer.  Have been ringing in groups for over 20 years.  Dad says that
the reason I'm such a good ringer is because I'm a natural born ding-a-ling.
Thanks Dad!

You would be surprised the broad range of literature published for
handbells.  I have played arrangements of Alexander's Ragtime Band, Boogie
Woogie Bugle Boy, The Billboard March,  The Great Gate of Kiev (from
Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition), Morning Has Broken (by Cat
Stevens), Selections from the Nutcracker Suite, Hava Nagila, and a bunch
more.

In southern California is a handbell group called Campanile.  Six people in
the group riniging five octaves of bells.  The ringers look like a rock and
roll band.....guys with long hair, dressed in leather, gals dress in
leather, gold lame, fishnet nylons and high heels.  They play a VERY wide
range of music, including an arrangement of "Hells Bells" by AC DC.

Steve, if you're planning on taking up ringing I have a word of
warning....handbell ringing is NOT as easy as it looks!!!

Margaret
in Modesto, CA