[Dixielandjazz] Geo. Webb - The Father of British Jazz inHarlow Last Night

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 28 11:07:16 PST 2004

Nancy said
>Amazing that George is still going strong at 86. I don't know what's
tougher
to play at age 80+: piano (with arthritis) or a horn (with diminished lung
capacity)?

Interesting point. When I brought Wild Bill Davison over in 89 he was 83
years old. He was not the Wild Bill of 1940, but still played wonderfully
well. There are a couple of short clips on my website. Art Hodes was on the
tour. He was 85 and there was no sign of any fall off in his playing. I
played with Benny Waters when he was in his 80s and the same was true of
him. Age seems to punish brass players and drummers. Both Zutty and Cozy
Cole lost it quite early. Yank Lawson, however at 75 was still in top form.
cheers

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com