[Dixielandjazz] Geo. Webb - The Father of British Jazz in Harlow Last Night

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Fri Feb 27 17:52:09 PST 2004

From: "john petters" <jpettjazz at btinternet.com>
Subject: Geo. Webb - The Father of British Jazz in Harlow Last Night
<  ... Despite freezing temperatures & Keith Smith's Broadway to Basin St
show on at the Harlow Playhouse Theatre just across town, we had an almost
capacity crowd in to see George Webb, the 86 year old father of British Jazz
at St. John's Arts Centre, Old Harlow, last night.   If I am still drawing
breath at the age of 86 I will be happy, but George is dynamite....  >

Amazing that George is still going strong at 86. I don't know what's tougher
to play at age 80+: piano (with arthritis) or a horn (with diminished lung
capacity)?

Note - Toronto will host two elderly jazz men who are still going strong:
This weekend at the Toronto Downtown Jazz Party will be Franz Jackson, 91.
Next week, for three nights at the Bistro, will be Jay McShann, 88.

Just wondering: Who else is still out there performing at that age???