Re: [Dixielandjazz] French band name puns : 'bag of fleas' / Sac à pulses, Jazzogènes, Orpheon Celeste]

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Feb 27 08:19:12 PST 2004

I have a copy of an early Stomp-Off LP album by Orpheon Celeste - "La
Gere de Lyon" (recorded in a Paris train station) and I really like it,
but there seems to be not much else available. I found a reference a
while back to a "Best of Orpeon Celeste" CD but I was not able to make
an order from the website. Do any of you purveyors of music on the list
have anything in your catalogues from this group?

BTW, I think the name of that group comes from church organ stops (but
I could be wrong):
ORPHEON (Atrium: Choir Forte Left) A free-reed of slightly stringy,
oboe-like quality.
CELESTE VIOL (Aerial: Aire) A sweet-toned viol.
CELESTINA (Celestial: Astral) A wood flute of open construction, narrow
scale and a gentle, pure, luminous tone.

Dave Richoux