[Dixielandjazz] SUBJECT: Honky Tonks, Hymns & the Blues

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 11:46:05 PST 2004

Bill Grist writes: Honky Tonks sprang up in the 1930s around the east Texas
oil fields as
>places to get loose after a long hard day's work, as described best in Hank
Williams' country hit "Honky Tonkin."
Sorry, Bill, but the term was in common use long before 1930 according to
Gammond's The Oxford Companion To Popular Music. To partially quote from this
source: "The name (Honky-Tonk) was the name given in America to a low-class
nightclub, usually a one-room affair with a piano or small jazz group, such as was
generally frequented by less affluent black people in early jazz days. The
beer was generally served from direct from barrels, hence (this name is) an
alternative name for 'barrel house.' The name 'honky-tonk' or 'barrelhouse' was
then applied to the kind of boisterous music that was generally played there,
necessary to cut through the noise. The name was rather curiously perpetuated in
Meade Lux Lewis's Honky Tonk Train Blues recorded in 1928." In my reading, I
have come to believe that the Texans and the early jazz people both used the
term but with slightly different bar rooms in mind.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink