[Dixielandjazz] French band name puns : 'bag of fleas' / Sac à pulses, Jazzogènes]

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:23:12 PST 2004

Michel Miconnet wrote:

>I think to another French band whose name is a also pun in
>French: "Les Jazzogènes". This name sounds like "gazogène -> gas
>generator". (Not OKOM, but historical point : this kind of
>device allowed to produce gas with wood. It was installed on
>cars during the last mondial war when France was occupied by the
>nazis (with 'n' and not 'N') to replace the gasoline).
>
>Thus, "jazzogenes" sound like "explosive"...

Or to my English ears, maybe it means something like "The Jazz
Generators"..... really neat!

Now, our French friends do love their "jeu de mots" (wordplay) and I am put
in mind of a very clever example on an album by, I think, the excellent
French band Orpeon Celeste. They add French lyrics to "I Found A New Baby"
which start out "Un fond d'oignon bien cuit", phonetically very close to the
English tune title, but actually meaning ' a base of well-cooked onions' -
the remainder of the lyric turn out to be  a recipe!

Mike