[Dixielandjazz] Keeping Track of Measures

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Feb 15 18:49:41 PST 2004

At 03:40 PM 2/14/2004 -0500, Stephen Barbone wrote:
>Here is my favorite tune to test keeping track of measures. (Info from a
>web site). Usually, I depend on the guitarist, and just follow his
>changes when responding to a request for the tune.
>
>For those who want the lead sheet and chords, ask Sheik. He has them.
>Steve Barbone
>
>Begin the Beguine    Cole Porter

Shaw's version is considered by many to be one of the best swing
arrangments ever. Basically his chart follows the tune, of course with
Shaw-isms like his clarinet ending. His version is the one in my
"30s-40s Fake Book", which has lead lines for some other of his
arrangements, eg. "Indian Love Call" and "Carioca". Some other tunes I've
provided the regular chorus/verse but added his solo chorus or other
salient portions of the record.

As for the "Gershwin, Kern, Porter, McHugh, etc. tunes" Steve's band does
from memory, they're also in "30s-40s Fake Book". For details, including
contents list showing special features of the sheets like Shaw's solo on
"Stardust", hit my website

http://americanmusiccaravan.com
click on "Books", click on the individual book.

--Sheik