[Dixielandjazz] Keeping Track of Measures

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 15:40:27 PST 2004

Here is my favorite tune to test keeping track of measures. (Info from a
web site). Usually, I depend on the guitarist, and just follow his
changes when responding to a request for the tune.

For those who want the lead sheet and chords, ask Sheik. He has them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Begin the Beguine    Cole Porter

Cole Porter (1891-1964) composed for his show Jubilee (1935) the longest
popular song ever written, Begin the Beguine, a musical marathon coming
in at a lengthy one hundred and eight measures. The beguine is a popular
dance of Martinique, a fusion of African style with French ballroom
steps, performed with undulating body movements and the partners
separate. It reached Europe when Martiniquans were shipped to France to
fight in World War I and then settled there with their music. Porter's
beguine is indistinguishable from the Cuban rumba, and this rhythm has
become one of the trademarks of his individual style, making its
appearance in the accompaniments to Night and Day, I've Got You Under My
Skin and other songs. In 1938 Artie Shaw recorded the famous swing
arrangement that established Begin the Beguine as a standard. Porter was
pleased with Shaw's version and invited him to a party, greeting him
with: 'Happy to meet my collaborator.' 'Does that involve royalties?'
asked Shaw. 'I'm afraid not' countered Cole, the multi-millionaire.

PS. Speaking of Sheik's fake books, I find his basic Dixieland Book
invaluable when doing quartet background music gigs. (trumpet, clarinet,
bass, guitar) Usually we do Gershwin, Kern, Porter, McHugh, etc. tunes
from memory. The trumpeter I use knows them all, having played all over
the world in Lester Lanin Groups for Princess Di, Duchess Fergie, and
Grace Kelly weddings, 6 US Presidential Inaugurations etc., etc. He also
knows basic Dixieland. (Bill Bailey, Saints, Indiana, Georgia Brown
etc.) Invariably a guest comes up and asks for something like Dr Jazz,
which he does not know. Out comes Sheik's book, which he reads once
through and the tune comes out fine.