[Dixielandjazz] RE: Right to play tunes

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Fri Feb 13 11:30:21 PST 2004

As wise Tom puts it:
<<<<<They get particularly upset when I tell them that we performed al
our own original songs written and owned by us and that they are
definitely not licensed by BMI ASCAP SESAC, or any other organization.
They get really bent out of shape when I tell them that they have no
right to be collecting my money for me since I have no contract giving
them permission to do so, nor did I ever ask them to do so.>>>

I do exactly the same since many years; and I even hand him "the Concert
Program", a signed copy of a list with some 15 tunes, with fictitious
names, ALL my own composition! (actually, some ARE real compositions of
mine). And I complete the act signing a copy of a written statement
where I say that they have no right to be collecting my money for me
since I have no contract giving them permission to do so, nor did I ever
ask them to do so. And that most other tunes are composed on the act,
since are "free improvisations" over public domain melodies. What it's
absolutely true.
That clears the way and the guy disappears with nothing to say.

Ain't Show Biz Fun? Isn't playing Jazz fun?

Tito Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil