[Dixielandjazz] Uneven number of measures

Mattias Hallin cmhallin at algonet.se
Fri Feb 13 13:11:48 PST 2004

An interesting case of an uneven number of bars is Django Reinhardt's 1937 recording of Viper's Dream, where the riff theme in F has only 23 measures! This theme consists of a 12 bar blues riff twice repeated, only the first time round measure 12 is left out. What strikes me as strange is that unless you listen fairly close and/or actually count the measures, you will hardly notice that one is missing!

All the best,

/Mattias

*** Mattias Hallin ** Brussels ** Belgium ** <cmhallin at algonet.se> ***
*             "Oh bury me thar! With my battered git-tar!            *
*************      A-screamin' my heart out fer yew!"    *************