[Dixielandjazz] Transfer (by computer) of Vinyl or shellac records to CD.

Craig Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 13 13:12:59 PST 2004

I've done some of this, but one problem seems to make it
more manual than I'd like. That is the problem of leaving the
(LP) record playing into the computer and separating the tunes
into separate files. The software I've used misses some gaps and
adds others where they don't belong. I'd prefer software that does
this while recording, but even the ones that allow you to detect the
gaps in one long file end up being too manual as well.

Who has a good technique for doing this? If the answer is too detailed,
please answer me offline at civanj at adelphia.net.
Even hints on how to make "Cool Edit", or similar programs
 do this better would be helpful Also, I use a PC, but answers
pertaining to "Mac" computers would also be welcom.
-----------------------

On the positive side, I've had pretty decent luck cleaning them up
AFTER I get them in -- enhancing the quality by eliminating some(!)
background noise and scratches and clicks using "Cool Edit".
I'm not one who thinks that the more authentic sound replicating the
scratches and clicks of the old records -- makes them more enjoyable
-- but that's a personal thing. Some folks  and some programs
(Cool Edit option, for instance) actually ADD them to new recordings.
Oh well.......

Regards,
Craig Johnson