[Dixielandjazz] Fighting on list

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Feb 4 08:01:17 PST 2004

This question has been posed :

"Who was the first person to get offended and unsubscribe?"

One suggested answer was :

"Probably Chris Tyle."

and another comment :

"However, I do recall the highly regrettable dispute between Jim Maihack
 and several others about whether it is "Beetlebaum" or "Feetlebaum," or
 somesuch, in the relevant Spike Jones recording.  It was regrettable,
 because I don't believe Mr Maihack has ever been seen in DJML since"

Shortly after joining the list years ago I got myself into a terrible
slanging match with trumpeter Eric Holroyd over some inconsequential thing
which I cannot now recall. We hurled insults, cursed each other and stuck
pins into effigies - the situation became so heated that Ringwald had to
intervene with a peacepipe (remember that occasion Bob?). Eventually Eric
and I became very good friends but I still wonder if our stupid, unnecessary
scrap was the cause of his departure from DJML.

That unfortunate episode taught me a lot about diplomacy.

John Farrell