[Dixielandjazz] Re: Listening to Dead Musicians

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 1 22:41:07 PST 2004

on 1/2/04 3:40 AM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote to
John Petters ( in part):
> At this time in my playing life, the Oliver records no long hold much interest
at all. Ditto Hot 5 and 7. I've heard them many many times in my life,
intently from 1945 to 1960. No, I don't think I can learn any more from
them.<

Dear Steve,
Wow!!!!
Just back from our Sunday arvo gig and read your missive to our mate John
Petters.
I could (as you know) take issue with you about several statements in your
post (may do later) but the above stuck out.
Whenever I get fed up (and wonder) about the jazz path being taken here in
Oz I put on Lil's Hot Shots (the Louis Hot Five) "Georgia Bo Bo/Drop That
Sack", Chicago, 26 May 1926.
The hairs on my neck ALWAYS go up when I play it ( doing so now).
I doubt it I will EVER get my head around it, and I have been listening to
both sides since I bought the 78 disc in 1947/48.
Give over mate.
I know in my heart/brain that there still is still much to learn from these
dead pioneers.
Very, very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Go play it now. Then follow up with Eskine Tate's Vendome Orch "Stomp
Off, Let's Go/Static Strut'.
Never fails with me.
We will never ever be that good!