[Dixielandjazz] Re: Two Cornets/Trumpets

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 1 08:58:11 PST 2004

Dear Kurt,
With respect, I think you may have misinterpreted my mate Michael McQuaid's
review comment: "Two cornets is an unusual FRONT LINE (my emphasis) for a
classic jazz band, or any other band for that matter."
Michael was referring to the fact that 'Cornet Copia' consists of 2 cornets
backed by ONLY piano, bass and drums. Unusual enough in my opinion.
And to be heard to be believed. Fabulous.
You and Jane Lynch refer to the 2 cornet bands of Oliver, Watters and the
like. Michael is well aware of these examples. And others, as Australia has
certainly had more than most of that type of 'classic' jazz band.
And some great ones too, over the years, starting with the Graeme Bell band
in the 1940s.
Very kind regards,
Bill.