[Dixielandjazz] length of tracks on radio programs

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Sun Feb 1 01:22:16 PST 2004

Like Bill Haesler, I rarely play tracks longer than about 5 minutes in my weekly Traditional/mainstream jazz program.  My reason is that I'm trying to sell the idea that jazz takes many forms & can't be stereotyped.  There is something for everyone in OKOM.  Amongst our many listeners, there are some who've never heard live jazz, who've heard jazz in some form & didn't know what it was other than that they liked it, or folks who just want to tap their feet or dance around the kitchen.  To keep a program bright & breezy and promote OKOM, variety and contrast, a little education and info. on where to hear this kind of music around town is essential.  The main thing to keep in mind, however is not to get too esoteric or bogged down in interminally long tracks that may cause some to tune out.  The audience has all types and you've got to keep it coming at them.  I play a lot of contemporary Traditional jazz from all over the world in a historical context with the addition of classical examples, but no one style should be favoured over another.  Short, varied and simple is the way to win listeners.
Sam Meerkin,
Radio 3INR Inner FM.
96.5 FM Melbourne, Australia.
PS.  If you want to promote your band in Oz, contact me off list at
smeerkin at melbpc.org.au